I don’t know about you, but in my late 40’s, I still like looking youthful and fresh, and am happy to use any reasonable technique to make that happen. Most women I talk to feel the same. So if you can relate, keep reading for my TOP 5 beauty tips when it comes to hair and makeup.
As a style coach I work with women all around the world to help them feel confident, beautiful and find their “Million Dollar Look.” Especially those who are in midlife and beyond…the years when we experience changes in our body, hair, skin and in life. In this post I’m sharing my best secrets with you. Applying these tips can make a huge impact on your appearance & give you a big boost in your confidence.
I’m not kidding when I say these techniques can make you look 5-10 years younger. When I am applying them, people are regularly shocked to find out my age…having assumed late 30’s or early 40’s at most, only to find out I’m close to 50. And not just me, many women I’ve worked with as a style coach have dramatically transformed their appearance to a younger looking, more stylish version of themselves just by properly using these techniques.
It actually blows my mind how these simple steps can make such a huge impact. Sure, it takes some practice and finding the right products, but be persistent until you get it down. The results are really fun!
Ok, let’s dive in. Using myself as an example, here is a BEFORE picture demonstrating the most common mistakes I’ve noticed women make. Right next to it, is a picture of me on the same day AFTER applying my top 5 beauty techniques. Remarkable, isn’t it? (You can click the image to view it close up)
Are you ready? Brace yourself, I’m gonna give it to you straight.
1. Eye-liner applied only on the bottom lid drags the eyes visually downward – the last thing we need in the fight against gravity! Liner on the upper lid line is the most important, and often a slight cat eye effect helps draw the eye up and out, visually lifting and enlarging the eyes when they tend to appear smaller with age. Blended eye shadow techniques on the upper lids enhance this feature.
2. Say goodbye to a “Wash & Go” hair routine IF you want to look put-together & stylish. Sorry ladies, but unless you are in the approximately 5% of women who’s hair dries perfectly into a flattering & stylish shape, you have to choose between looking polished & stylish ..OR.. haphazard & unremarkable. As you mature and hair changes texture, thickness, etc…you need to gain new skills and put in some effort to get the best results.
3. Under-eye concealer is a MUST, and around the eyes/lids to even the skin tone. Dark circles and redness around the eyes will make you appear older, tired and even a bit unwell at times.
4. Foundation: With age, skin-tone gets more uneven, splotchy, blooming with new sun-spots and freckles. Foundation covers, smoothes and evens out the surface… giving you a fresh, more youthful and polished appearance.
5. Brown / Nuetral color lipstick is a NO-NO for maturing women, especially darker hues. Lip hues with brown or neutral tones makes you look older & dowdy. Dark lip colors on thin lips can give the face a stern, sharpness. Go brighter-lighter as a general rule.
Ok I couldn’t keep it to just 5, so here is a #6 bonus tip: Groomed and defined brows will frame your eyes, giving you a huge boost of polish and style. Yes, your brows will thin as you age (it’s normal) so you can pencil in or get them microbladed to complete a nice arch.
There you have it! My TOP beauty tips for hair and makeup. I bet you have discovered some great techniques too. If so I’d love to hear them. Feel free to comment below with your thoughts, ideas and feedback on this topic.
If all or some of these techniques seem daunting to you, don’t worry. With practice you can get it down to a time efficient routine. Personally, I spend about 15-20 minutes a day on hair and makeup, except for the 2-3 times a week when I wash, blow out and style my hair which takes about 20-25 minutes.
And let’s face it, going it on your own can be difficult. Unless you have a talented fashionista in your life who can skillfully guide you, it might be time to invest in expert assistance so you can look and feel your best. Before long, friends and coworkers will start commenting on how great they look, even though they can’t always pinpoint what exactly changed. That’s why I call them beauty secrets, my friends. Apply them and enjoy the results!